However, scooters are not built with the same design or level of protection as motorcycles and other vehicles. And unfortunately, serious accidents causing severe injuries sometimes occur involving these smaller vehicles.
Scooter accidents are becoming increasingly common. To learn more about the dangers of scooters and how to prevent and/or protect yourself from a scooter accident, talk to an attorney at the Law Offices of Brent C. Miller, P.A. We can help you every step of the way.
Scooter accidents in Florida
Florida streets are busy and bustling. As such, riding scooters on Florida roads presents unique challenges. For example, drivers in vehicles may be unable to see scooters in time to avoid crashes, accidents and cutoffs. This places scooter riders in high-risk situations.
In addition, there are few laws that require riders to receive training and/or certification to operate small scooters. Almost any driver can enter the road on a scooter with little to no training or experience.
Unfamiliarity with proper riding and defensive driving techniques may pose significant dangers to riders and other vehicles on the road. A Florida scooter accident attorney can help you understand more about how scooters can present significant risks of harm to drivers and what your rights are after your accident.
Scooters are inherently dangerous
Our lawyers have seen it all and we know firsthand: Scooters are inherently dangerous. In fact, at low speeds, scooters often become difficult to navigate. Riders may have to force awkward turns, which may increase the likelihood of a scooter accident.
In addition, scooters are not built with the same protective equipment as vehicles. Riders on scooters are fully exposed. Although riders are expected to wear helmets, scooters are not equipped with airbags and seatbelts. As a result, it is much easier for riders to be launched off of scooters and to experience severe bodily injuries.
Scooters also require passengers to place their feet on floorboards instead of pegs. If a rider makes an abrupt move, it may be difficult to maintain the position of the feet, resulting in an unsteady balance. When moving at fast speeds, the force of wind and the blinding rays of the sun may make maneuvering the scooter much more difficult.
Protect yourself while operating a scooter
As a scooter rider, you have the responsibility to do everything possible to protect yourself on the road. Our car accident attorneys in Central Florida know that the following methods help to reduce risk and lesson injuries for scooter riders.
- Always wear protective gear, including helmets, gloves and kneepads.
- Avoid riding scooters in harsh weather conditions such as heavy winds and rain.
- Wear bright clothing (especially at night) to improve visibility.
- Attach additional lights to your scooter for night riding.
- Always follow basic signs and traffic laws. Riders are subject to the same responsibilities as drivers in vehicles.
- Protect your eyes with secure sunglasses.
- Wear sunscreen and/or petroleum jelly to protect your skin from severe burns and bruising.
- Take a training class, even if it is not required to operate your scooter.
- Avoid using cellular devices and other distractions (such as eating, drinking, etc.).
- Only one (1) additional rider is permitted to ride with you on your scooter. The presence of more than two (2) riders on a scooter is punishable by law.
Steps to take if involved in a scooter accident
If you are involved in a scooter accident, an experienced accident attorney at our law firm can assist you. It is often difficult for scooter riders to obtain compensation for accidents because of stipulations in insurance plans and the difficulty of identifying fault. An experienced accident lawyer can help you present a strong claim, gather effective photographs, records and testimony to serve as evidence, and guide you through the overall process. Before contacting a lawyer, however, there are a few steps that riders should take:
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Report the incident with the local authorities.
- Take pictures of damage and injuries.
- Exchange contact information with the other parties involved in the accident.
- Keep track of all records, including medical and financial information.
- File an insurance claim.
- Contact our law firm.
Accident attorneys in Central Florida
At the Law Offices of Brent C. Miller, P.A., you can trust that your scooter accident will be handled in a professional manner that grants you the outcome you deserve. We work tirelessly on every single case we handle at our law firm.
We also realize that people injured in scooter accidents often have a hard time dealing with insurance companies. That's because these companies often assume that scooter drivers are always to blame for these accidents.
We know the truth. We know that other reckless drivers usually cause scooter accidents. We can help you set the record straight and fight for the money you deserve. Find out how we can help you. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation today. We're on your side.