Car accidents can happen fast. In an instant, another vehicle might crash into your car and leave you or a loved one with serious injuries that can have lasting consequences. After being badly injured in a collision, you might not be able to walk, drive, work or do a lot of the other things you used to take for granted. Worst of all, your car crash may have happened due to someone else's reckless or negligent actions.
Let our experienced legal team go the extra mile for you to make things right. Our Central Florida car accident lawyers can help you recover full compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including the cost of future care
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage to your vehicle
Depending on the details of your crash, you may also be entitled to compensation for noneconomic damages, including pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, and punitive damages. That’s why it’s so critical that you contact our law firm as soon as possible to explore all your options. Our legal team has secured millions in jury verdicts and settlements, and we know what it takes to get the insurance companies to play fair.
Full-service representation for injured car accident victims
Our Tavares car accident lawyers, led by founding attorney Brent C. Miller, have handled the full spectrum of car accident claims, including those involving:
Our legal team’s knowledge and experience puts us in a position to maximize the value of your claim. Whether you’ve suffered whiplash or a concussion, our Tavares car accident lawyers are here to listen to you, answer your questions, explain your legal options, and offer you the kind of service you should expect when hiring an attorney. If you lost a loved one in a fatal car crash, our law firm can also help your family pursue a wrongful death claim.
What steps do you need to take after a car accident?
Getting into a car crash can catch you off guard, so it’s important to be prepared. After you’re in a car crash, you should follow these important steps to avoid further problems down the road:
- Take a moment to breathe. You may be in pain, and your car may have suffered severe damage, but it’s important to remain calm to think about the things you need to do next at the crash scene.
- See if anyone is hurt. If you or anyone else requires emergency medical attention, call 911 and tell them you need an ambulance. Give them your location and any other information they need to send help. Be careful not to move anyone who has been injured unless it’s absolutely necessary to get them out of harm’s way.
- Avoid another collision. If it’s safe to do so and your car still drives, move your vehicle out of the road to the shoulder and activate your hazard lights. If you have flares or safety triangles, place them down on the road to alert other drivers there’s been an accident.
- Call the police. When law enforcement arrives, be careful not to admit fault. Take down the officer’s information, including name and badge number, and ask how you can get a copy of the official accident report. These details will be useful later on when pursuing a car accident claim.
- Exchange contact information. Get the names, contact info, car model and year, license plate number, and insurance information of every other driver involved in the crash. Don’t discuss who’s at fault or argue about who caused the crash. Anything you say could be used against you to dispute your claim.
- Take photos of the crash scene. Make sure to take detailed pictures of the damage to all the vehicles involved in your crash along with anything that may be relevant to your accident, such as traffic signals, signs, tire marks, etc. It’s also a good idea to take pictures of any visible injuries sustained by you and any of your passengers.
- Talk to witnesses. If someone saw your collision, their eyewitness testimony could make a dramatic difference to the outcome of your case. Make sure you get their full name and contact information.
- Write down all the details of your crash. You’ll want to make note of when and where your car accident occurred, what the weather was like, the conditions of the road, whether or not there was any construction going on, and what the other driver said or did after the crash.
- See a doctor. Even if you don’t think you’ve been injured, it’s important to get checked out by a medical provider within 24 hours of your car accident. Symptoms from some injuries take time to develop, and you may be hurt more than you think. Follow your doctor’s instructions for treatment, and keep detailed records of all medical visits, treatment, tests, medications and bills.
- Contact your insurance company. Tell them you’ve been in a car crash, but don’t give them too much information. Insurance companies are notorious for trying to pay injury victims minimal compensation, and anything you say could be used to reduce or deny your compensation.
- Call our law firm. Our experienced Tavares car accident lawyers can take steps to protect your rights, deal with the insurance company on your behalf, and get you the financial compensation you’re entitled to.
Still have questions about car accidents? Read our car accident FAQs.
Should I call a lawyer after a car accident?
After a car crash, you should consider calling a qualified car accident attorney. Insurance companies know that you only have one opportunity to get all the financial compensation you need to cover your accident-related expenses. That’s why they play hardball and do everything they can to pay you as little as possible. A car accident lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and fight to get you the payout you’re entitled to.
Many insurance companies are reluctant to give fair compensation to injury victims after a car crash because they want to protect their profits. As a result, an insurance company may offer you a cash settlement that doesn’t even come close to what you’re rightfully owed. However, an experienced car accident lawyer will be able to advocate for your needs and get you the compensation you deserve. Statistics also show that those who let a car accident lawyer handle their claim get more on average in compensation than those who don’t.
At the Law Offices of Brent C. Miller, P.A., our car accident attorneys have years of trial advocacy experience. We will go above and beyond to fight for you in court or during negotiations.
Is Florida a fault or no-fault car insurance state?
Florida is a no-fault insurance state, meaning you’ll need to file a claim with your insurance company in case of a car accident, regardless of who caused your crash. Florida requires all drivers to carry a minimum of $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage to pay for medical expenses and lost wages if you get injured in a car accident. However, your PIP only covers 80 percent of your medical bills and 60 percent of your lost wages from missed time at work. That’s why getting an experienced car accident lawyer to help you after a crash can be helpful. There are other ways to recover full compensation, and our attorneys can explain all your options.
How long after a car accident can I sue in Florida?
The statute of limitations for filing a car accident lawsuit in Florida is two years from the date of your crash. In most cases, if you miss this deadline, your claim will be automatically dismissed, though there are some exceptions.
Hiring an experienced car accident lawyer will safeguard you from incorrectly filing the necessary paperwork and missing important deadlines.
How much is my car accident worth?
Your car accident claim could be worth hundreds, thousands, or millions. It all depends on how badly you were injured and the specific details of your case. Without knowing the circumstances surrounding your collision, you may be able to receive compensation for damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, property damage to your vehicle, replacement services (childcare, housework), pain and suffering, mental anguish, and punitive damages. Speaking with an experienced car accident attorney can give you a good idea of what you might be entitled to in compensation.
The Law Offices of Brent C. Miller – serving injury victims for over 30 years
Our experienced car accident attorneys have represented injured crash victims in Tavares, The Villages, Inverness, Clermont, and surrounding communities for over two decades. We offer aggressive legal representation and an empathetic approach to your unique needs. We also represent tourists and “snowbirds” who get injured in car while visiting here as well.
We know the state and local legal system inside and out. That’s because we live and work here, just like you. We’re part of the community and proud to help our neighbors after they’ve been injured in a serious car crash.
Find out what the Law Offices of Brent C. Miller can do for you. Contact us today for a free initial consultation. Help is just a phone call away.
"Couldn't ask for a better law firm to handle my auto accident case. They were quick, effective and very down to earth." - Courtney S.