How Your Body Suffers During a Crash: A Florida Attorney Weighs In
Automobiles are designed to prevent drivers and passengers from sustaining severe or fatal injuries. However, they can only do so much.
Dr. David Logan, senior research fellow from Melbourne’s Monash University Accident Research Center, detailed some of the serious injuries sustained by people in crashes for studentedge.org. It’s not pretty.
In a frontal collision or side-impact accident, you are likely to sustain the following injuries:
- Broken collarbone, caused by seatbelt (this means the seatbelt did its job by preventing more severe injuries)
- Broken ribs
- Punctured lung
- Pelvic fractures
- Spleen, liver, stomach and bowel damage, including ruptures that can cause stomach acid or body waste to be released into the body
- Head trauma
You’ve Been in an Accident: What to Do at the Scene
Here are steps to take to protect your interests, according to The Law Offices of Brent C. Miller, PA, in Central Florida:
- Take a moment to calm yourself so you can deal with the aftermath in a rational manner.
- Call the police.
- If it is blocking traffic or otherwise in danger, move your vehicle out of the road and/or turn on your hazard lights.
- Assess injuries and damage.
- Take photographs of the scene, including vehicle damage and anything that may have contributed to the crash.
- Get statements from witnesses and their contact information.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with other drivers.
Most Important: Hire an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you are likely overwhelmed by your circumstances. You may be out of work, facing a long rehabilitation and unable to provide for your family as your medical bills pile up. You probably are being pressured by an insurance company into accepting a financial settlement that falls far short of meeting your needs. It’s tempting to accept such an offer. Don’t fall for it. Once you accept a settlement from an insurance company, you may end up paying for your recovery out of your own pocket for years.
Instead of giving into your despair, speak to an experienced auto accident attorney at The Law Offices of Brent C. Miller, PA. We have over 30 years of experience handling cases just like yours in Citrus, Hernando, Lake, Marion, Orange and Sumter counties. We know the inner workings of the legal and health care systems, and how to deal aggressively with insurance companies to protect your rights and your future while treating you with compassion. You have questions. We have answers.
Contact us today for a free consultation.